Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Limerick Day Rocks!


Though not as well known as say, the Fourth of July, Limerick Day deserves all the fanfare it can muster. Say it with me: "Woo hoo for Edward Lear! Woo hoo for limericks!" (Edward Lear popularized limericks in his 1846 "Book of Nonsense." He is the author of the famous poem, "The Owl and the Pussycat.")


There. Now didn't that feel good?


You'll feel even better if you create and post in the comments section below your own limerick for all the world to see. Family-friendly, please. I'll go first.


Way back when was an Englishman, Lear

Who had such a terrific career

Making rhyme after rhyme

Some absurd, some sublime

That we celebrate him over here


Now you, please. And happy Children's Book Week!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jody,
    Great minds think alike :-) I'm too lazy to write another limerick (pretty pathetic, huh?) so I"m going to copy and paste the one I wrote for my blog. If I get a burst of energy later, maybe I'll write another one.

    There once was a picture book writer,
    Who’d edit to make her work tighter,
    She polished each line,
    To make every word shine,
    A contract would surely delight her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Children's Book Week back your way! And...NooOOO, I missed limerick day? LOVED yours and Lori's, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...WoooHOO Edward Lear indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deb! I'll try to give you a heads up next year.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anybody with more hair on his chin than on his head? Now that's my kinda writer. And the glasses! Um-umm.

    ReplyDelete